Sunday, June 25, 2023

Is Something Amiss?

Is something amiss? Not a question anyone wants to ask themselves two weeks after surgery. Not ever. But here I was, asking myself this very thing.

I emptied my only remaining drain on Wednesday and I was surprised at the amount in the bulb. It was more than usual, but I didn't really think too much of it. I went along, business as usual, moving around slowly. Come Thursday morning, and time to empty it again, but this time, it's different. Very different.

We all get it, if you've ever seen one, drains are gross, disgusting and can make you lose you appetite in a quick minute. Thursday morning was all of those things. The liquid in the drain bulb should be clear-ish. This time it wasn't. It was creamy in color, a hue of tan, and more than usual again. So I take some pics.

No, I am not including these nasty pictures in my scrapbook. Fuck that and all it's nastiness. I composed an email and sent it off to my PS (plastic surgeon's) office, asking, "does this look normal?"

Fifteen minutes after I sent off those pictures, I got a call. The doctor's office. Boy, that was quick. Now here I am thinking they are calling because they looked at the pictures I sent and wanted to reassure me everything is fine, and not to worry. Nope. All she said was, we will be calling in an antibiotic for you. Uhm, ok?!? She said it hadn't been sent yet, but when it is, they will call back. 

Next message I get is from my pharmacy saying I have 2 prescriptions ready. What? Two? From who? I was expecting one. Never got a call back from the doctor's office, but everything seems pretty self explanatory. Clearly I have an infection of some type. I have two antibiotics. I waste no time and go get them from the pharmacy, and start taking them immediately.

So here I am, 3 days later, and I can already tell a difference. The color and nature of my drain fluid is different, in a good way. I don't have as much discharge either, which is another positive sign. Yahoo, finally getting back on track.

I have another follow up appointment tomorrow with my PS, and I wonder if this drain is going to come out. I am really hoping so, but given recent events over the last few days, I am not as hopeful as I was. Tomorrow morning will tell.

So until then, I am going to keep doing what I've been doing; taking it easy, relaxing, and getting some sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Final Post, And I Am Closing This Chapter Of My Life

Today is December 18, 2023. 2 years ago to the day, I had the mammogram that would forever change my life. And here I sit, 2 years later, ca...