Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The Battle Begins

So here I am, a 44-year-old woman, seemingly doing things right in my life. And then the bomb dropped. I have breast cancer.

Let me take you back a bit.....I have always been in good health. I have periodically been overweight but gotten it under control. Nothing ever drastic. Just one of the great stages of aging.

I have always looked substantially younger than I really am. So much so that I have been at the grocery store buying liquor, had my teenage son with me and have been asked to card both of us! What? I say, "This is my son. He's 15 years old. He doesn't have an ID." I have been generously rewarded, thanks to my grandmother, with aging gracefully.  

I try to do things right in my life. All things? No. I mean, really, who does? So yes, I smoked (currently a former smoker), for many, many years. Way too many, yet that be known, I have very few wrinkles. Jackpot! No other bad habits to speak of, and certainly nothing health impacting. I like to drink on occasion, I drive faster than I should, and I swear, A LOT! It's just who I am.

Tell me this. I do a lot of things right my life, yet I get a cancer diagnosis. I have been going in annually for a physical, getting my blood work done, going for an eye exam every year, going to the gynecologist every year (until I had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago), going for a mammogram every year since I hit 40, but apparently that is just not good enough. Could I exercise more? Of course, but honestly, I just don't like it. At all. I am a foodie; I love to cook and bake, then eat it. Cooking and baking for those I love too. I am not selfish.

So, despite mostly doing all the right things, I now must fight likely one of the biggest battles of my life, and you know what? I am ready. Bring it on! I have so much to live for and my time won't be up for several years.
Me living my best life? Yes, maybe, before all this.




1 comment:

  1. I’m so proud of you for staying positive and making the most of this situation. You’ve always been strong and fearless.
    You got this! Fuck you cancer!

    ReplyDelete

My Final Post, And I Am Closing This Chapter Of My Life

Today is December 18, 2023. 2 years ago to the day, I had the mammogram that would forever change my life. And here I sit, 2 years later, ca...