Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Space Invader Number One

 It's Tuesday, February 22, 2022, yes 2.22.22. Let's talk about space invaders, and I am not talking about the Atari game from the 80's, Space Invaders. I am talking about all these intrusive things that are going to start happening to my body. And today will be my first.

I have an appointment with Dr. Anglin at 11AM to be at the hospital. Why? It is not time for my double mastectomy yet. I haven't even started chemo at this point. The things I have learned over the last almost month or so is enough to make your head just want to explode. BOOM! My head exploded.

With the change in direction my treatment is taking, now with starting chemo first instead of surgery, I will have to hav a mediport surgically placed. Ewww. What? A foreign object in my body just makes my stomach turn, and I am sure I will have my fair share of that with chemo, but let's be that early bird that catches the worm. Not ideal. Not now anyways. Not in this situation.

I am at the hospital getting all checked in, nurses, techs, and honestly I don't even know who else is in and out of the room. I have enough time on my hands, and I dose off. Naps have already become one of my favorite things. But not for long because they just keeping bothering me! Here's today's fun fact: I had my first ever COVID test today. My surgeon required it, and rightfully so. I have never taken one before because I never had a reason to. Negative. Great, thanks. Let's get on with it then. At least the nurse has the magic touch.

Dr. Anglin comes in to talk to me and goes over all the details I just didn't need. Nothing against her, but honestly, there are just some things we are really better off not knowing. But now that I know, I am not keeping that to myself and I am going to share it here. I am having this 'device' as I like to call it surgically planted in my left chest. The entire thing! Skin is crawling at the thought. It will go in just under my collar bone. I shouldn't know it's there once it heals. Even better. I will be knocked out thanks to the anesthesiologist. WooHoo, another nap is in store! My favorite part this far. The surgery itself will only take about an hour, and shortly thereafter once I come to, I will be ready to go home. But oh ya, I can't drive. One of my friend's dropped me off, went to do his thing, and agreed to come back and get me. Sweet, thank you! Now I don't have to make it weird with an Uber driver, perhaps not making any sense, rambling on about who knows what. Maybe another time.

Anesthesiologist comes in and talks to me, and has a foreign accent. Keep talking, please, I love the accent. It's so mysterious and sexy. Well so much for those great thoughts because I wasn't a good listener despite the accent, because no sooner did he start the drugs in my IV, and I was out. I just couldn't wait for that nap. Goodbye doc. Nice chatting. Maybe I'll see you for my next surgery.

Next thing I know, I am awake and in recovery. Mind you, I will tell you I never left the room I was initially in. Never happened. I mean it did, but I have no recollection. I wake up, come to, and feel like nothing happened. I mean nothing. Awesome. But wait, who knows what's next because Dr. Angliin told me my chest will feel like it's badly bruised. Let's get a move on, I don't want to be here. I am released a little while later and on my way home, although I am at the complete mercy of my friend at this point. Beggars can't be choosers, and either way, it's a win. Of all the people to be at the mercy of, he is a good one.

I get home thinking I am going to sleep the rest of the day. What happens instead boggles my mind. Not only do I not lay down or rest because I feel so great, but I am awake until about 2am. Well dang. I had to take it easy and I did. I have restrictions. Ugh. I don't like those, never have. But I am feeling way better than expected and I'll take that.

I lay down for a total of 3 hours. Only 3 hours. And my sleep in very broken. I cannot get comfortable. I am a stomach sleeper, and this is not the optimal stomach sleeping type of surgery. Fuck My Life right now. I need some sleep. Not today, not happening. Of course you know there are always nap openings for later in the day. I may pencil myself in.

Much to my surprise, after laying down those few hours and resting, I still feel really good. Surprisingly good. This leaves me optimistic that perhaps my chemo treatments won't get the better side of me and I will be stronger than I thought.


It's a mystery what it'll all look like, but this is all I can see right now. I will have this on for a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Final Post, And I Am Closing This Chapter Of My Life

Today is December 18, 2023. 2 years ago to the day, I had the mammogram that would forever change my life. And here I sit, 2 years later, ca...