Saturday, February 26, 2022

Pros, Cons and Other Thoughts

 Let's make the best out of a bad situation. That's what I'm thinking. Could this situation be better? Of course, it could NOT exist. Could it be worse? Yes, by far, much worse.

I have a thought. At some point in the future, I am going to have this battle behind me. Not any time soon, but I will at some point. And as we have all experienced in our lives, memories will become far and distant. This is not one of those things you just forget about at some point. It shouldn't become a distant memory, and for me, it certainly will not.

I decide I am going to "capture the moments" of ALL of this. 

I make a very bold choice to post a quick overview of my situation and story on a local group where I live here in Texas. I am not afraid to put myself out there, however, I am also not one to 'air my business' all over town either. 

In my post I say, "I am hoping I can find both a hair stylist and a photographer who are willing to donate their services. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. I am 44 years old. I go in next week to have a mediport put in and start chemo the week after. I will have chemo for six months, then a double mastectomy, followed by a hysterectomy and possible radiation. I want to have one last hurrah with my hair and make it fun before it all falls out. I want to do a few different colors and do something I normally wouldn't so. Additionally, this is a journey I want to follow start to finish. Now, before my treatment starts, during and after. I want to snap pictures along the way and create a scrapbook so I can look back after I've beat this and remember how far I can and the battle I fought. Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)"

This was HUGE coming from me. I am not one to ever ask for hand outs, let alone help, even though I do realize at some point during this battle, that indeed, I may have to ask for help. It is hard for me. I am a strong, independent woman who doesn't rely on anyone for anything. I am self sufficient, or will be, until I am not.

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of my neighbors. By far way more than I expected, and not just for the ask I had, but just for the words of encouragement so many people had to offer. The comments about my approach and attitude to this situation, how I was admired for all of the courage and strength I am bringing to this fight, then those who are offering their support overall. Amazing. Truly amazing. It really restored my faith in us as humans who are just losing our shit the last 2 years because we are all cooped up at home, not having social lives and becoming care takers, teachers, housekeepers, chefs, more than ever before, due to this pandemic. 

I feel so good. Just practicing for this fight I have now and ahead of me.

I meet with a photographer, Brandi of Live Beautifully photography (livebeautifullyphotography.com) and Live Beautifully Photography on FB on Monday, February 21, 2022 near my home at Little Elm Beach. Brandi is absolutely wonderful. We talk a little bit, take some pictures, talk some more, and I just love her spirit. She is genuine and sincere. A care taker by nature. She sees the beauty in all things. I think, this is going to work out great, and it does, until shit gets real. Brandi is snapping pictures of me, and I am being goofy to a point, serious at other points, but never too serious. We are nearing the end of this session, and reality sets in. I start crying. I start crying because I realize the reason I am sitting there having my pictures taken. It is a quick flood of sad emotions, and Brandi is there to comfort me. She is a saint. She didn't have to do that. I regain my composure, she snaps a few more pictures and that's it. We are done.

As I drive home, I feel that everything just aligned that afternoon. Brandi and I were destine to meet, to take on this journey together, through my eyes and her lens. I cannot wait.









My dear friend made this video about me, and my story. I wanted to share it for everyone to see!








No comments:

Post a Comment

My Final Post, And I Am Closing This Chapter Of My Life

Today is December 18, 2023. 2 years ago to the day, I had the mammogram that would forever change my life. And here I sit, 2 years later, ca...